Saturday 25 February 2017

The Worst Cat in the World

The worst cat in the world. 

This is not a post for animal lovers. As a former pro-cat ambassador I can tell you that I am now pro-choice.... the choice being to love or hate them at your own discretion. 

About 6 months ago my life took a different turn then I had ever taken before. 
After 33 years of living with other people in the house, I was finally getting a house to myself. 
My housemate had decided to move away for work and I started making plans about this new chapter of adulthood. 

As I pictured my house with nobody but me abiding in it, I imagined it to be a mixture of sadness and happiness. While I was excited for the freedom, I worried that I would turn into a hermit or a hoarder without the accountability of someone being there to judge me. I also worried that I would die alone and be found half eaten by Alsatians a month later. But mostly I worried that I would have nobody to talk to. 

I imagined my life coming home from work and I needed something to greet me. I needed something to curl up next to me at night and I needed something to take care of. With no boyfriends on the horizon, I settled on the addition of a furry animal. 

This is what lead me to make a terrible life decision and learn a big fat life lesson. 

I researched and researched and saved my pennies and a week after my housemate had made the big move, I was ready. I had found the breed of cat I wanted to buy, I had decided against adopting from an animal haven (save your judgement, I got my comeuppance don't you worry) and I was ready. However, it was proving to be a very difficult task. I began to get obsessed with finding this perfect animal. 
Every breeder had sold out, lived miles away or didn't reply and I was getting frustrated. How can I have this perfect little single life in my perfect little cottage without my purrfect fur ball kitten? 

So, I stood in church on a Thursday night church meeting and while everyone was praying for their family, their jobs, their health, I'm ashamed to say, I prayed for a kitten. The scary thing about this was that God responded. And in a big way, what not in the way I expected. 

"I don't want you to have one," he said as clear as day. 
He gave me a reason why (which I am still working through and may tell you one day, dear friend, but not today) suffice to say, I was not happy! 

"Okay," I said. 

The same way I would say okay to my mum when she wanted me to clean my room growing up. I had every intention of obeying unless a better option came along. 

Another option came along very quickly. The very next day at 3.30pm I received an email. Someone who I had emailed weeks ago had a kitten ready for me. I finished my work day, rushed down to the pet store, bought a truck load of cat "essentials", and travelled over an hour drive to pick up my new little mate. 


The Sweet Harmless little thing


The whole way there I blared loud music and ignored any inner dialogue that was knocking at the door questioning my decision. The whole way back, with my new kitten on board, I had a rock weight in my stomach. 

“Desire without knowledge is not good— how much more will hasty feet miss the way!”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭19:2‬ ‭NIV‬‬


I had rushed into this decision with hasty feet. I knew what I wanted and I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way. I was going against the knowledge I had been given. I knew in my guts it was wrong.

The cat, a little boy kitten called Harvey was a cute little ball of terror. He was aggressive, possessive, anxious and destructive. He fretted when I left the house and showed me by weeing on my furnishings when I got home. The worst thing, however, wasn't his behaviour but my intense and prolonged allergies to him. 

Harvey's True Nature


If anyone asked me about how it was going I'm pretty sure I lied straight to their face. How could I tell them I didn't want to go home, that I regretted the whole thing? I was pro-cat, but this thing was satan's spawn. 

Long story short, 4 weeks later, with scratches up my arms, a severe cough and sinus issues and urine soaked furnishings on the kerb side, I placed a gumtree advert for the little menace and re-homed the kitten to a lovely couple. I still carried my residual allergy symptoms on 3 weeks later. 

I learnt a huge lesson those few weeks, a lesson that I hope to carry through for the rest of my life. To listen and obey. 

Jesus replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭11:28‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I count my blessings that my life lesson could be taught with the example of a kitten rather then something far more serious. I could have kept the cat, life would have gone on, but the truth was evidently clear. Blessing abound for those who listen and obey.

I would like to think that this was a lesson put in place so that the next time I hear the voice to stop that I do and prevent something far more damaging from happening in my life.

I heard it said the other day. 

"Go as if life is giving you the green light but be on the look out for the red!" 

When you chose to be a believer and put your life in God's hands you need to go but you also need to listen. Just because you think something is right for you, doesn't mean it is. 

For those who are wondering, I am loving this home situation sans-pet. I have found that life has become very peaceful and quiet. I have ensure I have stayed in touch with friends but I also enjoy my time of serenity. This season is sweet, rewarding and blessed. And who knows what is in store just around the corner... I just have to go and obey! 

Have you ever had the red light moment with God and went for is anyway? What does that red light look like or feel like to you? For me it is a rock in the stomach and deep knowing that it isn't right. 

Maybe you are going though something similar right now. It's never too late to stop and figure out what it is. Sometimes your breakthrough is waiting at the crossroads of the last thing God directed you to do. Maybe it's time to back track and realign with God's plans that he has for you. It's never too late to fix it all up. (You might just have to throw away a few soiled cushions). 

Xxx 
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment